This sequence of photographs illustrates the preparation of the carrots. The last photograph on the right shows the carrots in the jar about to be covered in a warm dark place. Note: the whey has made the liquid look a little cloudy. When the carrots are ready, the liquid will be clear.
- ½ kg carrots, grated or julienned
- 1 tablespoon ginger, peeled, finely chopped or grated
- ½ cup whey
- 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt, or Himalayan pink salt
- filtered water
- Combine carrots, ginger and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Scoop spoonfuls of the mixture into a wide mouthed jar, pressing down firmly.
- Leave a 5 cm gap between the top of the carrots and the jar lid.
- Pour over the whey and pour in sufficient water to cover the mixture.
- Keep the carrots submerged under the liquid with a weighted glass.
- Cover with towel and leave to ferment in a dark, warm place on the kitchen bench for 3 to 5 days, depending on the temperature.
- Seal the jar and store in fridge.
Serve fermented carrots as a side dish in a salad or with a hot meal.